For almost thirty years now, I have litigated cases at trial and on appeal, on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants, in both state and federal courts. My experience ranges from complex commercial litigation to securities and antitrust class actions to mass tort to eminent domain matters, including:
- The trial of multiple actions, both solo as well as part of a larger team, including breach of contract claims between domestic and international entities involving everything from the failure to deliver drilling rigs for use in the Gulf of Mexico to the funding of business ventures;
- Several patent infringement actions resulting in permanent injunctions, awards of trebled damages, and attorneys’ fees to the inventor;
- Multiple business “divorce” actions between partners, often involving fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims over asset allocation and theft of corporate opportunities;
- Various fast-track injunction and restraining order based on employment agreements, theft of trade secrets, and covenants not to complete;
- The representation and settlement of cases on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants in nationwide class actions for antitrust violations and federal securities fraud claims;
- Numerous eminent domain matters on behalf of property owners against state, county, city, and corporate condemnors both at trial and on appeal.
I was born and raised in Port Neches, Texas and received a B.B.A. in Economics from Baylor University in 1984. After Baylor, I attended the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, where I served as the Managing Editor of the Texas Law Review, was elected to the Order of the Coif, and was a member of the Legal Eagles.
After receiving my law degree with honors in 1987, I had the privilege of clerking for the Honorable Anthony M. Kennedy, both on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
I am married to my high school sweetheart, the former Jane Ann Cowart, and we have two adult sons: Michael who graduated from The University of Texas with a B.S. degree in Aerospace Engineering and is now attending NYU Law School; and Aaron who graduated from the University of Idaho with a B.S. degree in Wildlife Management and now works for the State of Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.